Nuisance animals

Dangerous dogs, barking dogs, roaming domestic animals are just some examples of animal problems that can cause concern for you or your neighbours.

Resolving the problem with a neighbour

If you believe that there is a nuisance dog, cat, rooster or other pet in your area, the first thing you should do is to try and talk with your neighbour. In many cases, your neighbour may not know that you are being disturbed and discussing the concern with them provides an opportunity to resolve the issue before it escalates.

If you can’t resolve the problem directly with your neighbour, contact us.

If your complaint is of a nature that Council can't assist with, the NSW Government's Community Justice Centres may be of help. These centres provide free, confidential mediation and conflict management.


There are very few dogs that do not bark and Council does not expect dogs to be silent at all times. However, excessive barking can be disruptive within the neighbourhood. If you need advice regarding barking dogs for yourself or your neighbours, please see our 

Under the NSW Companion Animals Act, 1998 a dog is a nuisance if: “The dog makes a noise by barking or otherwise that persistently occurs, or continues to such a degree or extent that it unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of any person in any other premises”.

If you feel there is a nuisance dog is your area the first step you should take is to speak directly with the dog owner. They may be unaware that their dog is barking and the issue may resolve quickly. 

If after speaking with the dog owner the barking does not improve please complete the online form or call 9424 0000. Please provide as much information as possible including, address of the dog, description of the dog, how long it has been happening, when you spoke with the dog owners, when the dog is barking, potential causes of the barking, etc.  You might be asked to keep a diary of when the noise occurs to substantiate the complaint.


With the keeping of animals such as birds, chickens, rabbits and other pets there is the responsibility to ensure that your pet does not cause a nuisance to your neighbours. Nuisances can occur due to the number of animals being kept, how they are being contained or housed on the property and the conditions in which they are being kept.

Enclosures can be constructed for birds, chickens and other animals without the need for approval from Council provided that the structures meet certain height, size and location requirements. State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 details aviary, poultry and animal shelter construction requirements. 

State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008