Council wins more funding for St Ives Showground
Published on 31 March 2021
Ku-ring-gai Council has been awarded two more state government grants for upgrades to the Showground.
Last year the Council won a $1.7 million grant for major improvements to the buildings, internal roads and the Showground’s main arena. The funding was through the NSW Government’s Showgrounds Stimulus Package administered by the NSW Department of Planning, Infrastructure and Environment.
In addition the Council spent $1.8 million from its capital works budget on a large new accessible playground which opened in December 2020.
The additional funding from the government’s Showground Stimulus program totals $284,350.
Around $20,000 will be put towards wayfinding and interpretative signage at the Showground and the remainder will be spent on installing new picnic and BBQ facilities.
Mayor Jennifer Anderson said the extra funding was ‘an additional boost for the overall upgrade and the comfort and convenience of users of this much loved outdoor event venue.’
“We expect all the planned upgrades will be completed over the next 12 months,” she said.
The upgrades being progressively completed include:
• Resurfacing and upgrading of the main arena loop road & parking bays.
• Fencing, soft-fall surfacing and signage for the new playground.
• Refurbishment of the amenities block near the playground including accessible change rooms.
• An upgraded kitchenette in the Louise Lennon building.
• Improvements to the Douglas Pickering Pavilion.
• Rebuilding of the kiosk for use as an information centre for major events.
Media enquiries: Sally Williams, Ku-ring-gai Council 9424 0982.