Climate change plans and policies
Council is taking a comprehensive approach to effectively mitigate against and adapt to the impacts of climate change. Our climate change management program is aligned to the Paris Agreement which aims to limit global temperature increases to below 2°C and pursue efforts to keep warming below 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.
Climate Change Policy
Our Climate Change Policy responds to the observed and projected implications of climate change on Ku-ring-gai’s natural and built environment, community and economy.
View our Climate Change Policy(PDF, 376KB)
- Reduce Council’s greenhouse gas emissions (from fixed assets, street lighting and vehicles) to levels consistent with the international goal of limiting global warming to 2° C above pre-industrial levels
- Deliver programs that enables a continued reduction in community energy use and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Reduce Council’s, the community’s and the natural and built environment’s vulnerability an increase its resilience to the impacts of climate change.
- Ongoing review of Council’s greenhouse gas emission reduction targets, emissions budget and climate change mitigation and adaptation activities based on international, regional and local climate science and modelling.
- Reduce Council’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (from fixed assets, street lighting and vehicles) by 20% by 2020, 50% by 2030 and 100% by 2045, based on 2000 levels.
- Limit Council’s 2013 - 2050 greenhouse gas emissions to 158,827 tonnes of CO2 equivalent (CO2-e), in order to achieve Council’s GHG emission reduction targets
Greenhouse Gas Reduction Action Plan
Our Greenhouse Gas Reduction Action Plan provides a mitigation response to climate change and describes how Council intends to meet its 2020 greenhouse gas emission reduction target.
View our Greenhouse Gas Reduction Action Plan(PDF, 2MB)
Climate Change Adaptation Strategy
Our Climate Change Strategy provides a management framework for Council to decrease its vulnerability and increase its resilience to the impacts of climate change. The Strategy also includes a continuation of the Climate Wise Communities program, which builds community resilience to the impacts of extreme events at a personal, property and neighbourhood level.
Our Climate Change Adaptation Implementation Plan provides a prioritised list of the climate change adaptations included in our Climate Change Adaptation Strategy, in response to bush fire, storms and flood, heat stress and drought.
View our Climate Change Adaptation Strategy(PDF, 2MB)
View our Climate Change Adaptation Implementation Plan(PDF, 245KB)
View our prioritised list of climate change adaptations(PDF, 223KB)
Research conducted by Council's Sustainability Program Leader, Dr Jennifer Scott