Cooling water and warm water systems
The Public Health Act 2010 and Public Health Regulation 2012 define the roles and responsibilities for managing cooling water systems and other regulated systems. Cooling water and warm-water systems must be managed safely in order to prevent the growth and transmission of legionella bacteria. Council is required to maintain a register of cooling water and warm water systems installed in the Ku-ring-gai area.
Responsibilities of building occupiers with cooling water systems
Building occupiers are required to ensure the following are undertaken for their cooling water systems:
- Display of unique identification numbers on all cooling towers. The unique identification number is provided by Council.
- Submission of a Risk Management Plan (RMP) to Council. The risk assessment of legionella contamination is to be documented in an RMP and is to be completed every five years or more frequently if required.
- Submission of an audit report to Council. Independent auditing of compliance with the RMP and Public Health Regulation 2012 is to be completed every 12 months.
- Monthly sampling and testing for legionella and heterotrophic colony count.
- Submission of reportable test results to Council. Reportable test results are laboratory tests where the legionella count is 1000 cfu/ml or greater and heterotrophic colony count is 5,000,000 cfu/ml or greater.
Notification of cooling water and warm water systems
The occupier of the premises has the responsibility to notify Council of the installation of a cooling water or warm water system. To notify Council or to update any contact information complete our online notification form below.
Notification form for cooling water and warm water systems
Submission of risk management plans, audit reports and reportable test results
All risk management plans, audit reports and reportable test results are to be submitted on the NSW Health approved forms. These forms are available on the NSW Health website. Submit your completed forms to Council using the button below.
Lodge your completed forms with Council using the buttons below:
Submit risk management plan, audit certificate or reportable tests results