Outdoor dining and footpath trading
Keen to introduce an al fresco ambience to your dining establishment? If you’d like add some outdoor dining on footpaths and community land, apply to Council for approval.
Council's Outdoor Dining and Footpath Trading Policy(PDF, 870KB) explains what locations are suitable, the type of furniture and other things you need to consider when setting up an outdoor dining area for your business.
Before making an application go through our checklist(PDF, 193KB). You will need to have the following documents ready before you make an application:
- A plan showing the proposed length and depth of the outdoor dining area. This plan must also show the width of the footpath, any Council street furniture and a minimum of 1.8m clearance along the footpath for pedestrians.
- A floor plan showing the seats inside the premises and those proposed as part of the outdoor dining application. Where the combined number of patron seats inside the shop and those proposed as part of the application exceed 19, sanitary facilities must be provided for customers in accordance with the National Construction Code
- A copy of your current public liability insurance document. Your policy must be for a minimum of $20 million and identify Ku-ring-gai Council as an interested party. If you are applying for outdoor dining adjacent a State Road then Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) must also be listed as an interested party
- Photographs of proposed furniture, the area to be used and any street signs adjacent the proposed outdoor dining area.
- If the outdoor dining area is under awnings, a current certificate of structural adequacy for the awning must be submitted. Generally you can request a copy of these certificates from the relevant property owner.
Outdoor dining online application form
Keen to sell flowers outside your florist shop? Footpath trading, such as this, may improve your business. If you’d like to use the footpath or community land for the purpose of footpath trading, check out our Outdoor Dining and Footpath Trading Policy(PDF, 870KB) then apply. But first, make sure your business fits into this criteria:
- Items for purchase must be from within the shop and not on the footpath.
- Goods on display must be consistent with goods for sale within the premises and alcohol, tobacco, flammable goods, medicines or drugs will not be permitted on the footpath.
Before lodging an application, obtain the following:
- A plan showing the proposed length and depth of displays, the width of the footpath, any Council street furniture and a minimum of 1.8m clearance along the footpath for pedestrians.
- A copy of your current public liability insurance document. Your policy must be for a minimum of $20 million and identify Ku-ring-gai Council as an interested party
- Photographs of the stands proposed to display goods for sale. Stands used to display goods must be solid to the ground and be designed to display products for which they are being used.
To apply for footpath trading, applicants must complete the Place Goods on or Above Footpath form(PDF, 90KB) and submit the application to Council by email, post or to Council’s Customer Service team.
There are application and lease fees for use of footways and public land for outdoor dining and commercial trade. Refer to Council’s Fees and Charges(PDF, 3MB) for more information.