Heritage home grants
Ku-ring-gai’s Heritage Home Grant program is an annual heritage incentive, which is open for applications between 1 April and 31 May each year.
The program assists and encourages owners to conserve their heritage place, primarily through repairs and restoration.
Who is eligible
Owners and recognised managers of listed heritage items or contributory properties within heritage conservation areas can apply for these grants, where they have not received Heritage Home Grant funding in the past 5 years.
What projects are funded
Grants are allocated for projects that will commence and be completed in the following financial year.
Funding is available for approved conservation works to original and significant fabric. This includes works to roofs, building structures, verandahs, windows, façade brickwork, fences or other significant features.
The priority is for works that protect or improve the heritage significance of listed buildings and public appreciation for their heritage value. It does not include routine maintenance, relocation, modern additions, monuments, purchases or flood-lighting. For painting, please provide your colour selection for approval as appropriate to the period of the building or restoring an original colour scheme.
Retrospective funding will not be granted for works already commenced or completed.
How much is granted
Grants are allocated on a dollar for dollar basis for a minimum of $1,000 and a maximum of $5,000. This means that if the maximum funding is granted, Council contributes $5,000 and the applicant contributes at least $5,000.
How to apply
The online application form is available during the application period.
To apply you will need to provide:
- Completed application, submitted during the application period.
- Quotations for the proposed work (two required).
- Photographs of existing structures.
- Samples of proposed colours and materials.
- Plans/sketches of the proposed works (if required).
or post to: Heritage Home Grants S11080, Ku-ring-gai Council Locked Bag 1006, Gordon NSW 2072.
All eligible applications are referred to the Ku-ring-gai Heritage Reference Committee for their advice before the beginning of each financial year.
The allocation of funding is generally considered by Council in July.
Applicants will be advised of the grant decision by 31 July for works to commence in that financial year.
Timeline for funded works
- 1 April -31 May: Grant application submitted.
- 31 July: Council’s funding offer, including conditions for timing and conservation, sent to successful applicants. Owners accept offered grant by returning signed funding agreement.
- 1 August: Owners to seek development consent, where required, and commence works. Owners to notify Council on commencement; first owner update.
- 1 December: Second owner update due to Council on progress of grant approved works.
- 1 April (next year): Third owner update due to Council on progress of grant approved works.
- 31 May (next year): Owner deadline to submit receipts for completed works to claim approved grants for current financial year.
Please contact Council’s Heritage Specialist Planner for further information on 9424 0000.