Steps to prepare a DA

If your development proposal is not classified as exempt or complying development, you may need to lodge a development application (DA) to get development consent. All DAs are required to be submitted via the NSW Government's planning e-portal NSW Planning Portal

Below is our 5-step guide to preparing and lodging a DA. 

Step 1 - Does your development comply?

  • Is your development permissible? Check the property's zoning.
  • Design your development to comply with our planning controls (eg. LEP and DCP).
  • Does your development comply with all relevant NSW Government SEPPs?

Step 2 - Prepare plans and documents

Step 3 - Consult your neighbours

  • Discuss your development proposal with your neighbours prior to lodging your DA. Early consultation can often alleviate any concerns about what you are proposing to do. Your neighbours may also identify issues with your development proposal that you may not be aware of (eg. privacy, overshadowing).
  • If you are living in a strata building, check whether you need body corporate approval for your development before preparing a DA. Their consent is required per the requirements of the e-portal at the time of lodgement.  

Step 4 - Apply for a pre-DA consultation - temporarily suspended

Temporary suspension of Pre-DA consultation service - commencing close of business Friday 14 July 2023

Currently Council’s Development Assessment Unit is facing resourcing challenges that are causing impacts on our ability to service our core function, the assessment of development and related applications. Whilst every effort is being made to address this challenge, which is not unique to Ku-ring-gai Council and to ensure we provide the best possible quality of service by focusing our attention on the management of development and related applications, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend the Pre-DA consultation service. Council will continually monitor the situation with a view of returning the service soon as our resourcing capacity is replenished.

If you have already lodged a pre DA application, prior to the suspension of the service, we will complete the review of the application in due course. We will also continue to provide the follow up pre DA service for those pre DA applications already completed. Access to lodge pre DAs via Council’s website will be suspended, consequently if you wish to lodge a follow up pre DA, you will need to have either lodged it with Council’s Customer Service staff at Council’s Administration Building - 818 Pacific Highway, Gordon or via Council’s email address: Your understanding is appreciated.

Learn More about applying for a Pre-DA consultation

Step 5 - Lodge your DA

  • Contact our Customer Service staff on 9424 0000 to receive a fee quote for lodging your DA or check Councils Fees and Charges for application lodgement fees.
  • Your DA application will need to be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal.
  • Make your cheque payable to Ku-ring-gai Council, cross ‘Not Negotiable’ and mail to Locked Bag 1006, Gordon NSW 2072. You can also pay by credit card.

Credit Card Payment Form(PDF, 183KB)

Post DA consent

  • When Council has made a decision on an application, a Notice of Determination is sent to the applicant. Where an application is approved, the Notice will include conditions of consent and the date of the consent. Where an application is refused, the Notice will include the reasons for refusal.

  • Read the Guide to the Building Approvals Process to identify the next steps involved or if you require further approvals.

  • You will need a Construction Certificate to be issued by Council or a private accredited certifier if your approved DA involves building works.

  • Relevant council forms:

            Principal Certifying Authority Service Agreement form(PDF, 369KB)

            Notice of Commencement of Building, Subdivision or Demolition Work(PDF, 818KB)

Changes to DA consent - Sections 4.55 and 4.56 

If you need to change a DA after Council has given development consent there are several ways to do this. Each way depends on the changes you want to make and how they will affect the DA that was originally approved.

  • To correct a minor error, an incorrect description or miscalculation, a section 4.55(1) application is required.
  • For minimal environmental impact changes, a section 4.55(1A) application is required.
  • To modify the consent in other ways, due to design changes for example, evidence needs to be provided that the development will be substantially the same. This requires a section 4.55(2) application.
  • To modify a consent handed down by the Land and Environment Court, a section 4.56(1) application is required.

Sections 4.55 and 4.56 applications 

Modification of consent applications need to be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal  They also need consent from all the registered property owners for the changes to be considered. If a company owns the property, the company stamp or seal is required. If the building is subject to a strata scheme, the owners' corporation seal and authorised signatures are required.

A section 4.55 or 4.56 application needs to include:

  • Fee payment.
  • Supporting documentation.
  • Modification of consent applications lodged via the NSW Planning Portal.

Plans must be in accordance with our DA Guide(PDF, 4MB). Some applications may require an updated BASIX certificate or bush fire assessment report/certification - check with your building designer.

Cost of works estimations

Cost of works estimations ensure fees are consistently applied to development applications.

  • For development costs up to $100,000, the table previously included in the DA form must be used to estimate the cost of works - Development Application Valuation of Works Estimate Sheet(PDF, 220KB).
  • For development costs between $100,000 and $1 million, two quotes from an independent qualified builder, architect, building designer or quantity surveyor are required to justify the estimated cost of works.
  • For development costs exceeding $1 million, a quantity surveyor’s cost report is required and for large scale developments ($10 million and over), the estimated cost and the capital investment value will be required.