Check air quality
The NSW Air Quality Index at Environment NSW website is updated every hour with new statistics.
The Bureau of Meteorology website also provides air quality warnings in its forecasts.
Report air pollution
We can issue clean up, prevention and infringement notices to polluters.
If you would like to report air pollution, please fill out the online form below or contact us.
Click here to view form.
Reduce your emissions
If you have a wood heater or fireplace, you can minimise local pollution and prevent health problems by adopting the following measures:
- Make sure you use only dry, untreated, seasoned hardwood.
- Store wood undercover in a dry ventilated area.
- Use small logs and place them in your heater to ensures air can circulate freely.
- Burn the fire brightly, run the heater on a high burn rate.
- Ensure the air control is fully open for five minutes before and 15 to 20 minutes after adding logs.
- Don't let fires smoulder overnight.
Talking to your neighbour
Before taking formal steps to complain about woodsmoke, contact your neighbour to discuss the concern. Be tactful as they might not realise there is a problem. You may wish to consider carefully what impact contacting authorities about woodsmoke will have on your future relationship with your neighbour. Visit Community Justice Centre for more information.
If you are unable to resolve a problem directly with your neighbour, contact us.