Bushfire wise

Council is providing rebates to home owners to make their homes more resilient to bushfire and ember attack. These rebates are a part of the award-winning Climate Wise Communities program.

Where to start

Complete the following steps to submit your rebate application 

1. Tell us about your rebate

Click the “Submit your pre-approval application” below to complete an online form. You will be asked for some basic details about you and your proposed bushfire retrofit.

2. Conversation with a Council officer

Someone from Council will contact you to discuss your application.

3. Claim your rebate

When your retrofit work is complete, click the “Submit your final claim application” and upload receipts and photographs of your completed retrofit.

How to apply

Rebates will not be given to works required for either BASIX or development application compliance.

If in doubt check the information at the bottom of this page. 

1. Submit your pre-approval application

2. Submit your final claim application

View terms and conditions

What can I claim?

Council will cover 25% of the total amount spent (to a max $1,000) and 50% of approval costs (to a max of $500) per household every 5 years.

A bushfire retrofit will improve your homes ability to resist ember attack, radiant heat, flame, wind and smoke. Rebates are available for a range of actions outlined in the table below:

Area of house Retrofit action (subject to pre-approval)

Replace ridge cap mortar replaced and repointed.

Install fire rated sarking in roof.

Install sprinkler system with independent water source and pump.

Skylights replaced with toughened safety glass.

Skylights sealed with non-combustible lining.

Roof vents and vent pipes covered with metal ember guards.

Eaves and fascia Enclose eaves with bushfire resisting timber or steel.
Chimney Unused chimney sealed with steel.
Gutters and down pipes

Install metal gutter guards.

Install down pipe plugs.


Replace windows with metal frames and hardware and toughened glass.

Install non-combustible external shutters.

Apply for rebates for windows installed on properties not subjected to a BAL rating via the Energy Smart rebate program only.

External doors

Install non-combustible door shutters.

Install non-combustible weather strips.

Install tight fitting door screen with metal (fire resistant) mesh.

Garage Install a non-combustible garage door with gaps <3mm.
Sub floor area Sub floor space is enclosed with non-combustible material.
Verandas and decking

Convert from timber to concrete or non-combustible material.

Spacing between decking reduced to 3mm or less.

Water supply

5000L metal water tank. See Note 5 below and regulation schedule.

Firefighting pump (diesel) connected to tank.

Rebates for water tanks on non-BAL rated properties via Water Smart rebate program only.

Storz fittings.

Install permanent long hose reels.

Metal connections.

Fence and gate

Replace brush or wooden (other combustible) fence with brick or metal.

Solid metal gate - no lock.

Low flammability landscaping Install raingarden.

*BAL-12.5 (Ember attack) is the minimum standard for retrofits on properties not on bushfire prone land and with a BAL-LOW. Properties with a BAL-12.5 and above must meet the requirements of Planning for Bushfire Protection 2006 and Australian Standard: 3959-2009.

**Climate Wise rebates are available exclusively for Ku-ring-gai residents.

***All rebates will be paid towards invoiced material and installations costs. Rebates are subject to availability of funds and must be pre-approved. Rebates will not be given to works required for either BASIX or development application compliance eg. for a new build or extension.

Do I need development consent?

Retrofit work may not require Council’s consent and may be classified as exempt development under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

Homes on bushfire prone land are likely to require either a CDC or DA for retrofits. Council's Bushfire prone land page or the NSW Rural Fire Service page What you need to know can help you find out if consent is required.

If your property lies in a heritage conservation area or is a heritage building, retrofit work may require a Complying Development Certificate (CDC), Development Application (DA) or minor works application. Refer to our online mapping tool Web Map. Enter your address in the search bar (top left).

Note: While some retrofit work may be exempt development, the development standards may vary based on your land use zone. To find out the zoning of your property and if your property is a heritage item and/or within a heritage conservation area, refer to our online mapping tool Web Map. Enter your address in the search bar (top left).

While there are restrictions related to works within areas mapped as fire prone, there are a number of exceptions under Part 4 Housing Alterations Code SEPP which could be eligible for the rebate. The rebate could also be used to compliment DA works.

Council can identify whether your work is complying development or requires a development application. This can save you time, money and frustration.

Please note: Rebates will not be given to works required for either BASIX or development application compliance.

Apply for a Pre-Complying Development Consultation application online.

This program is funded by Ku-ring-gai Council's Environmental Levy.