Reporting illegal tree removal, pruning or damage

It is illegal to work on trees without Council's approval. 

Trees planted on Council managed land and private property are protected by Council’s Tree & Vegetation Development Control Plans and other legislation.

If you believe a tree has been illegally pruned, removed, poisoned or vandalised, you can report this to Council by completing the following steps. 

Step 1.Check for tree works approval

Click on the button below and type the address into the search area.

Approved tree works for the selected property will show in the left hand column, below the property and planning details.

Please note:

  • Tree approvals are listed from the past 12 months onwards
  • Exempt works are not listed on the map
  • Works approved under a Development Application approval are not listed on the map

Search for tree approval

Step 2.Report it to Council

If you have searched the property and Council has not approved the tree works you can report it to Council;

  • Report it online. Select the 'Report unauthorised tree works' option (photos cannot be submitted online. Please email your report and photos)
  • Call 9424 0400  This is a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week phone service. 
  • Email

When reporting suspected illegal tree work, please have the following information ready to submit;

  • Provide property address of the trees.
  • Provide information about what type of activity is occurring, date and time.
  • Record and submit information - such as photographs to assist.
  • Provide your name and postal address to enable Council to respond to you.

Step 3.What happens next?

Once you submit a report, Council will complete the following steps. 

  • Undertake an investigation.
  • Gather evidence to ensure any pruning or removal outside of consent is regulated.
  • Apply penalties where appropriate.
  • Post a response letter to you. Council is unable to respond to reports submitted without a postal address.

Reporting further information to assist investigations

Should you have any further information to assist Council’s investigation, please submit to Council in writing by e-mail to

How do I follow up an investigation?

The information associated with any investigation by Council is subject to provisions under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act). Therefore, if you are wishing to seek any information relating to a reported incident, it will be necessary to apply for this detail by submitting an ‘Application for Informal Access to Council Information’

Please be aware that investigations can be a drawn out and involved process that can often take months before an outcome is determined. In view of these circumstances, any follow up discussion over the phone or otherwise outside this process cannot be provided.